One usually ends up on the dental chair to get treatment for teeth infection. If you have ever gotten wisdom teeth plucked out, IV sedation might not be something new to you. But, for those who don’t, here’s a quick preview before we dive into the details.
Many people suffer from dental anxiety; it is a real fear that may cost them in the future. So for those, IV (intravenous) sedation drip is a way out of misery.
Mostly, dentists reserve IV sedation for extensive wisdom teeth surgeries. By extensive, we mean invasive enough because of either a complex case or if the procedure would require long hours. IV sedation for wisdom teeth removal is a road to an anxiety-free process.
How Is IV Sedation A Good Option For Wisdom Teeth Removal?
It is a highly reliable and safe option. Patients on IV sedation can safely breathe themselves while their wisdom teeth are pulled out. The patients are sleeping and won’t have much memory of the surgery.
Here are some advantages of choosing IV sedation dentistry:
- The level of sedation is set according to the patient’s threshold.
- Sedation reversal via IV if necessary.
- Licensed and certified professionals for administration.
After the wisdom teeth removal, you may feel a little loopy for the next few hours.
What Does IV Sedation Feel Like For Wisdom Teeth?
IV sedation or twilight sedation minimizes fear as well as anxiety during the wisdom teeth removal process. The good news is you will not remember most parts of the procedure because these drugs will put you to sleep. However, in the case of a light dose, patients will remember only being sleepy.
IV Sedation Prep
- Fasting is a good thing to do before surgery. The dentists often ask not to consume anything for 6 hours before the surgery, including water.
- However, if you have conditions that require you to take medicines, have them with a small sip of water. If in case you are unsure about the water intake, don’t hesitate to get in touch with your dentist and have a discussion about your concern.
- Stay away from driving. Get a friend or a responsible adult to drive you home after the appointment.
- It is better to opt for loose-fitting clothing options that would give much comfort as possible. Everyone must have a short-sleeved t-shirt and close-toed shoes for support, comfort, and safety; wear that.
- Stay away from drinking alcohol or smoking at least 24 hours before the appointment.
- Steer clear of any sort of jewelry or flashy nail polish when getting the procedure done.
- It won’t be a snap. The waiting game is real, as surgeries and dental procedures may sometimes take longer than initially intended.
IV sedation dentistry has now made teeth removal quite easy for people. All you will have to do is fall right to sleep and get up with a missing tooth. To resolve your oral cavity issues, track down the best dentist in Katy from Cinco Ranch Family Dentistry.