Traditional metal braces have been used for many years to correct orthodontic problems. But with recent advancements, Invisalign has taken over as it offers cosmetic benefits compared to braces.
Both of these treatment options have pros and cons, so it can become difficult to choose the best one. Professional help from our dentists can help you make an informed decision. You need to consider several factors when deciding between metal braces and Invisalign.
For a better understanding, we will discuss the benefits and drawbacks of traditional braces and Invisalign.
What are Metal Braces?
Metal braces are a conventional orthodontic treatment to correct the misalignment of teeth and jaws. It involves metal brackets, bands, wires, and other parts that help to reposition teeth. The process of metal braces may take a year or more, depending on the severity of the case.
Pros of Metal Braces
- Metal braces are a versatile option that can correct minor to complex teeth or jaw malocclusion.
- Metal braces are not removable. It comes as a benefit because you do not have to take them off before every meal.
- Unlike Invisalign, metal braces do not stain from foods or drinks. So you can enjoy your favorite meals and drinks without worry.
- Metal braces are an affordable option compared to other alternatives. They are also available in different forms to choose from, depending on your preference.
Cons of Metal Braces
- Metal braces do not have an aesthetic appeal. They compromise the appearance of your smile for the time they are worn.
- They often cause discomfort due to their complex design. Metal braces often hurt or irritate your soft tissues.
● You must avoid certain food substances, such as gums, popcorn, chewy candies, etc., with metal braces, as they may dislodge a bracket.
- Metal braces require frequent visits to the dentist. Missing a single appointment can disrupt the treatment.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an advanced system that involves a set of clear aligners to reposition your teeth. They are a visually appealing treatment option for orthodontic correction.
Unlike metal braces, Invisalign aligners are removable. You need to wear them for 20 to 22 hours daily for the recommended period of time.
Pros of Invisalign
- The primary benefit of Invisalign is that they offer better aesthetics during treatment. The clear aligners fit snugly over your teeth and look practically invisible from a distance.
- Clear aligners fit well over your teeth and do not cause discomfort. They also adapt much better to your soft tissues.
- You can eat all your favorite foods with Invisalign by easily removing them before eating. After you are done, you can wear them back.
- You can also remove the aligners to brush and floss your teeth normally.
- Clear aligners require fewer dental visits, unlike metal braces.
Cons of Invisalign
- Invisalign is suitable for mild to moderate malocclusion and cannot work for complex cases.
- Clear aligners need to be removed before every meal because they can warp and stain easily. You must also take special care while drinking hot beverages such as tea or coffee.
- Because aligners are removable, compliance issues can arise, especially with kids.
- Invisalign wearers should regularly rinse their oral cavity after every meal to reduce the risk of food entrapment and plaque deposition.
If you have any queries, visit Cinco Ranch Family Dentistry and let our dental experts help you choose the best option between Invisalign and metal braces. Call us at (281) 407-5442 to schedule a consultation.